Saturday, May 15, 2010

Running Around

So last July (2009) I registered to run the Houston Half Marathon in January 2010. July began with the training. Not fun. Not fun at all. I got up during the week and met my friend Robin to run each morning at 5:00 AM. We followed a schedule and then Saturdays were our 'long runs'. The training program we were using would send a map each week for the Saturday runs. The same time I began this training my mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. So I didn't always make the weekend runs because sometimes I was in Iowa visiting her or other things came up. My goal for the marathon was to finish. I didn't care if I ran a 10 minute mile or a 13 minute mile, I wanted to finish. I didn't care if I had to walk. I just wanted to finish. Well my mother passed away in January and we were not in Houston for the half marathon, so I did not run. I will sign up again in the summer to run next year's marathon. I did, however, run a 10K run in February for the Rodeo Run. The before and after were fun. I ran with some girls from my school. The during was not fun - but I finished and that is what is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment